Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

Rule Rule 635-140-0010
Habitat Management


(1)

Goals: The Department’s habitat goals are to achieve the following, recognizing that such achievement is dependent upon authorities, programs, collaborative partnerships, and other factors beyond those within the Department’s authority alone:

(a)

Maintain or enhance the distribution of sagebrush habitats within greater sage-grouse range in Oregon;

(b)

Manage those habitats in a variety of structural stages to benefit greater sage-grouse while reducing or minimizing habitat threats and promoting resilience;

(c)

Avoid development actions in sage-grouse core, low density, and general habitats which adversely impact sage-grouse habitat or sage-grouse use of those habitats;

(d)

Limit the extent, location, and negative impacts of development actions over time within sage-grouse core, low density, and general habitats. In core areas, direct impact levels from development actions will be limited to no more than 3% of any “Priority Area for Conservation” and a rate not to exceed 1.0% over a ten year period, as described in OAR 660-023-0115 (Greater Sage-Grouse);

(e)

Require compensatory mitigation for direct and indirect impacts from developments within sage-grouse core, low density, and general habitats. Ensure such mitigation provides a net conservation benefit to sage-grouse and their habitat by providing an increase in the functionality of their habitat to support sage-grouse, consistent with OAR 635-140-0025 (Mitigation Hierarchy of Impacts in Sage-grouse Core, Low Density, and General Habitats).

(2)

Objective: Manage a minimum of 70% of greater sage-grouse range for sagebrush habitat in advanced structural stages, sagebrush class 3, 4 or 5, with an emphasis on classes 4 and 5. The remaining approximately 30% includes areas of juniper encroachment, non-sagebrush shrub land, and grassland and should be managed to increase available habitat within greater sage-grouse range.

(3)

Objective: Maintain and enhance existing sagebrush habitats and enhance potential habitats that have been disturbed such that there is a net conservation gain of sagebrush habitat in the following regions:

(a)

Baker Resource Area BLM: 82% sagebrush and 18% disturbed habitats.

(b)

Vale District BLM (excluding Baker Resource Area): 70% sagebrush and 30% disturbed habitats.

(c)

Burns District BLM: 68% sagebrush and 32% disturbed habitats.

(d)

Lakeview District BLM: 72% sagebrush and 28% disturbed habitats.

(e)

Prineville District BLM: 47% sagebrush and 53% disturbed habitats.
Source

Last accessed
Jun. 8, 2021