Property Held for the Benefit of Minors

ORS 126.700
Payment or delivery for benefit of minor


A person under a duty to pay or deliver money or personal property to a minor may pay or deliver the money or property, in amounts not exceeding $10,000 per year, to:


A person having the care and custody of the minor with whom the minor resides;


A guardian of the minor; or


A financial institution incident to a deposit in a federally insured savings account in the sole name of the minor and giving notice of the deposit to the minor.


This section does not apply if the person making payment or delivery has actual knowledge that a conservator has been appointed or proceedings for appointment of a conservator of the estate of the minor are pending.


The persons, except the minor or a financial institution under subsection (1)(c) of this section, receiving money or property for a minor, shall apply the money to the support and education of the minor, and shall not pay themselves except by way of reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses for goods and services necessary for the minor’s support. Excess sums shall be preserved for future support of the minor and the balance not so used and the property received for the minor shall be turned over to the minor when the minor attains majority.


Persons who pay or deliver money or personal property under this section are not responsible for the proper application of the money or property. [Formerly 126.025]


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021