OAR 690-502-0010

As used in this rule, unless the context requires otherwise:


The Willamette Basin is as shown on Water Resources Department Map No. 2.6.


“Agricultural Use” means non-irrigation agricultural use of water such as temperature control, chemigation, mineral leaching, dairy barn washing, greenhouse use, harvest use and other related uses.


“Classification” or “Classified” means the allowed and preferred beneficial use(s) of a given surface or groundwater source for which future uses of water shall be permitted. Except as otherwise provided by the Commission, the Department shall not issue permits to appropriate, and no use shall be initiated of any of the surface or groundwaters of the Willamette Basin for any uses except those for which the waters are classified. A classification does not affect legal uses existing on the date of adoption or alteration of the classification.


“Commission” means the Water Resources Commission.


“Commercial Use” means use of water at a place where commodities or services are bought or sold or provided by an entity open to the public, such as a gas station, restaurant, motel, etc.


“Department” means the Water Resources Department.


“Director” means the Director of the Water Resources Department.


“Domestic Use” includes domestic use, domestic use expanded and group domestic, as defined in OAR 690-011.


“Fish Life Use” includes use of water to support natural or artificial propagation of fish and other aquatic life.


“Groundwater Recharge” means the intentional addition of water to a groundwater reservoir where consistent with OAR 690-011.


“Industrial Use” includes the use of water in the manufacture of a product and maintenance of industrial sites, facilities and buildings, and includes other related miscellaneous uses.


“Irrigation Use” means the application of water to crops or plants by artificial means to promote growth or nourish plants.


“Livestock Use” means the use of groundwater or diversion of water from the natural water course or storage of water for consumption by livestock or wildlife.


“Mining Use” means the use of water to extract metals or minerals including placer mining as defined in OAR 690-011 and leaching operations.


“Municipal Use” means the delivery and use of water through the water service system of an incorporated municipality or a nonprofit corporation and includes quasi-municipal uses as defined in OAR 690-011.


“Pollution Abatement” means the use of water to remove or dilute pollutants or achieve water quality standards.


“Power” means the use of water for electrical or mechanical power or for operation of a hydraulic ram where such uses are consistent with OAR 690-051.


“Public Instream Use” means the public use of water where there is no diversion or other means of physical control over the water. Public instream uses include, but are not limited to, recreation, conservation, maintenance and enhancement of aquatic and fish life, wildlife, fish and wildlife habitat, wetlands other than those referred to in section (21) of this rule and any other ecological values, pollution abatement or navigation.


“Recreation Use” means the use of natural or stored water to provide recreation uses as defined in OAR 690-011.


“Storage Season” means the time period during which reservoirs may be filled.


“Wetland Enhancement” means the diversion or control of surface or groundwater for the purpose of mitigating, constructing, enhancing and/or maintaining wetlands.


“Wildlife Use” includes use of water by or for sustaining wild animal species and their habitats.
Last Updated

Jun. 8, 2021

Rule 690-502-0010’s source at or​.us