OAR 875-010-0006
Procedures for Obtaining License or Permit


Graduate from a veterinary college or veterinary department of a university or college as defined in OAR 875-005-0000 (Board Meetings)(8).


To apply for a veterinary license, the applicant must complete an application form available from the Board office. A completed application includes:


An application form completed and signed by the applicant and notarized;


A copy of a college diploma or a letter from the graduate’s school verifying satisfactory graduation, or, if a graduate of an unaccredited foreign veterinary school certification of satisfactory completion of requirements of the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG), or verification of completion of other foreign graduate equivalency programs approved by the Board;


A completed Oregon Jurisprudence Exam/Regional Disease Test;


Verification of veterinary experience and certification of status of license(s) in other states if applicable;


The license application and Oregon Jurisprudence Exam/Regional Disease Test fee of $75.00.


To register for the NAVLE, the candidate shall apply to the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME), www.nbvme.org.


The applicant may take the NAVLE in another state. For licensing in Oregon, NAVLE scores must be directly transferred to the Board through the Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA).


An applicant may request a waiver of the Clinical Competency Test requirement if all the following conditions are met:


The applicant has graduated from an accredited veterinary school or earned the ECFVG certificate or completed another equivalency program approved by the Board, as described in OAR 875-010-0000 (Qualifications for Veterinary Licenses and Permits), prior to and including 1990;


Has been engaged in active veterinary clinical practice for at least five contiguous years immediately preceding the date of application;


Has held license(s) in good standing in other state(s) or U.S. territories since graduation; and


Has met continuing education requirements at least equivalent to 10 hours per year during the five years immediately preceding the date of application.


The Board may request other documentation of competent clinical practice.


Neither NAVLE nor the National Board Exam (NBE) requirement shall be waived.

Source: Rule 875-010-0006 — Procedures for Obtaining License or Permit, https://secure.­sos.­state.­or.­us/oard/view.­action?ruleNumber=875-010-0006.

Last Updated

Jun. 8, 2021

Rule 875-010-0006’s source at or​.us