Administration of Public Funds

ORS 293.445
Definition for ORS 293.445 to 293.460

  • authority to make refunds
  • moneys held for refund or payment to claimants
  • deposit
  • rules
  • drawing checks


As used in ORS 293.445 (Definition for ORS 293.445 to 293.460) to 293.460 (Recourse of owners of unpaid checks), “agency” means any state officer, department, commission or institution.


When any agency determines that moneys have been received by it in excess of the amount legally due and payable to the agency or that it has received moneys to which it has no legal interest, the agency, within three years from the date the money was paid to the agency, shall refund the excess or erroneous payment to the person who made the payment or to the person’s legal representative, and such moneys hereby are continuously appropriated for such purpose.


Unless otherwise provided by law, any agency having in its possession any moneys held for refund or payment to claimants or distributees, or for determination or adjustment of license fees or of other amounts due the state, may, with the consent of the State Treasurer and in accordance with rules prescribed by the State Treasurer, deposit such funds in designated accounts with the State Treasurer and make lawful payments or adjustments therefrom to proper claimants or distributees, by checks or orders drawn on the State Treasurer signed by the officer or administrative head of the agency depositing such funds.


If the amount owed is less than a minimum sum established by rule of the agency authorized to make the refund, any agency by rule may provide that refunds shall be paid upon receipt of a written request from the person who paid the money or the legal representative thereof. [Formerly 291.508; 1983 c.246 §4]

Notes of Decisions

If more than three years have passed since excess or erroneous payment was made, refund of payment is at agency discretion. J.R. Simplot Co. v. Department of Agriculture, 340 Or 188, 131 P3d 162 (2006)

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Return of examination fee to unqualified applicant, (1974) Vol 36, p 1035; disposition of support moneys when obligee cannot be located, (1980) Vol 40, p 264

§§ 293.295 to 293.462

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Agency authority to adopt rules for payments based on government regulations restricting use of property, (2001) Vol 49, p 284

Chapter 293

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Duty or authority of Secretary of State to conduct performance audits, (1985) Vol. 44, p 381


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021