ORS 419B.530
Representation by Attorney General


Whenever a juvenile court has before it an action to terminate parental rights, the juvenile court or the Department of Human Services may request the services of the Attorney General.


Whenever an action to terminate parental rights is before a juvenile court pursuant to ORS 419B.500 (Termination of parental rights generally), 419B.502 (Termination upon finding of extreme conduct), 419B.504 (Termination upon finding of unfitness), 419B.506 (Termination upon finding of neglect) and 419B.508 (Termination upon finding of abandonment), the Attorney General shall have the same authority to assist the court as is granted to the district attorney under ORS 8.685 (Assisting juvenile court). [1993 c.33 §148]
§§ 419B.500 to 419B.524

Notes of Decisions

Under Former Similar Statutes

Due process does not require the appointment of “independent counsel” to represent the child in every adoption or termination of parental rights proceeding. F. v. C., 24 Or App 601, 547 P2d 175 (1976)

When second termination of parental rights proceeding was not itself barred, proof was not limited by res judicata or collateral estoppel principles to facts or evidence which was not considered in or which came in to being after first proceeding. State ex rel Juvenile Dept. v. Newman, 49 Or App 221, 619 P2d 901 (1980), Sup Ct review denied

Chapter 419B

Notes of Decisions

Due process rights of parents are always implicated in construction and application of provisions of this chapter. Department of Human Services v. J.R.F., 351 Or 570, 273 P3d 87 (2012)

Last accessed
May. 15, 2020