Application, Administration and Enforcement of Wildlife Laws

ORS 496.018
Person with disability under wildlife laws

In order to be considered a person with a disability under the wildlife laws, a person shall provide to the State Fish and Wildlife Commission either:


Written certification from a licensed physician, licensed nurse practitioner or licensed physician assistant that states that the person:


Is permanently unable to walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, prosthetic device, wheelchair, scooter or walker;


Is restricted by lung disease to the extent that the person’s forced expiratory volume for one second, when measured by a spirometer, is less than 35 percent predicted, or arterial oxygen tension is less than 55 mm/Hg on room air at rest;


Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV, according to standards established by the American Heart Association;


Has a permanent, physical impairment that prevents the person from holding or shooting a firearm or bow or from holding a fishing rod in hand; or


Has central visual acuity that permanently does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with corrective lenses, or the widest diameter of the visual field is no greater than 20 degrees; or


Written proof that the last official certification of record by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States shows the person to be at least 65 percent disabled. [1999 c.25 §2; 2001 c.571 §1; 2005 c.471 §12; 2007 c.587 §1; 2019 c.358 §17]
Chapter 496

Notes of Decisions

Fish and Wildlife Commission has statutory authority to provide by rule for is suance of special ceremonial hunting permits for specific tribes that are not otherwise allowed under hunting and fishing agreement between federal and state governments and that tribe. Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians of Oregon v. Department of Fish and Wildlife, 244 Or App 535, 260 P3d 705 (2011)

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Commission authority to restrict use of boat ramp it locates on state land, (1971) Vol 35, p 900


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021