Appropriation of Water Generally

ORS 537.099
Water use report from governmental entity


Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, any governmental entity that holds a water right shall submit an annual water use report to the Water Resources Department. The report shall include, but need not be limited to the amount of water used by the governmental entity, the period of use and the categories of beneficial use to which the water is applied.


As used in this section, “governmental entity” includes any state or federal agency, local government as defined in ORS 294.004 (Definitions), irrigation district formed under ORS chapter 545 and a water control district formed under ORS chapter 553.


A governmental entity that acquires land because of default in repayment of loans or other debts owed to the state is not required to file an annual water use report under this section. [1987 c.649 §3]
Chapter 537

Notes of Decisions

Water control district, in applying for water appropriation permit for hydroelectric project, was exempt from licensing provisions of ORS 543.010 to 543.620 and needed only to comply with requirements of this chapter. Steamboaters v. Winchester Water Control Dist., 69 Or App 596, 688 P2d 92 (1984), Sup Ct review denied

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Reservation to state of "all coal and other minerals" in deed of land by state as reservation of geothermal resources, (1980) Vol 41, p 298

Law Review Citations

11 EL 387 (1981); 16 EL 583, 592 (1986); 28 WLR 285 (1992)


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021