Uniform Trust Code

ORS 130.120
UTC 305. Appointment of special representative


If the court determines that the interest of a person is not represented under ORS 130.100 (UTC 301. Representation) to 130.120 (UTC 305. Appointment of special representative), or that the otherwise available representation might be inadequate, the court may appoint a special representative to receive notice, give consent and otherwise represent, bind and act on behalf of a minor, financially incapable individual or unborn individual, or a person whose identity or location is unknown and not reasonably ascertainable. A special representative may be appointed to represent several persons or interests, if the interests of the persons represented do not conflict.


A special representative may act on behalf of the individual represented with respect to any matter that the court has authorized, whether or not a judicial proceeding concerning the trust is pending.


In making decisions, a special representative may consider general benefit accruing to the living members of the individual’s family.


A person appointed as special representative must have appropriate skills and experience necessary to adequately represent the individual in the matter for which the special representative is appointed. A special representative may not have an interest in the trust that is the subject of the appointment of the special representative. A special representative may not be related to a personal representative of an estate with an interest in the trust, or to a trustee, beneficiary or other person with an interest in the trust.


A person requesting the appointment of a special representative must file a petition with the court describing the proposed special representative, the need for a special representative, the qualifications of the special representative, the person or persons who will be represented, the actions that the special representative will take and the approximate date or event when the authority of the special representative will terminate. The person seeking to serve as special representative must file a consent to serve.


A special representative appointed under this section is entitled to reasonable compensation for services. The trustee shall pay compensation to the special representative from the principal of the trust that is attributable to those beneficiaries who are represented. If the beneficiaries who are represented do not have principal that is attributable to them, compensation is an administrative expense of the trust.


Upon completion of the responsibilities of the special representative, the special representative shall move the court for an order discharging the special representative. Upon order of the court, a special representative appointed under this section shall be discharged from any further responsibility with respect to the trust. [2005 c.348 §20]

Law Review Citations

42 WLR 187 (2006)

Chapter 130

Law Review Citations

42 WLR 187 (2006)


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021