ORS 18.235
Motion to satisfy money award


A judgment debtor, or a person with an interest in real property against which a judgment lien exists, may move the court for an order declaring that a money award has been satisfied or for a determination of the amount necessary to satisfy the money award, when the person making the motion cannot otherwise obtain a satisfaction document from a judgment creditor.


Motions under this section shall be filed in the action in which the judgment was entered. All proceedings on the motion shall be conducted as part of the action in which the judgment was entered. An appearance fee may not be charged for filing a motion under this section.


A motion under this section must include the following information, to the extent known to the person making the motion:


The date of entry and principal amount of the money award.


The rate of interest and the date the interest commenced to accrue.


The date or dates and amounts of any payments on the money award.


Any amount that the person believes remains to be paid on the money award, including any supporting mathematical calculations.


Any other information necessary or helpful to the court in making its determination.


A person making a motion under this section must serve the motion on the judgment creditor. If the person making the motion is not the judgment debtor, the person also must serve the motion and supporting affidavit on the judgment debtor. If an assignment of judgment document has been filed with the court under ORS 18.205 (Assignment of judgment), the motion must be served on the person named as the assignee of the judgment. Service on the judgment creditor and judgment debtor under this subsection may be made as provided in ORCP 9 if the motion is filed within one year after entry of the judgment. If the motion is filed more than one year after entry of the judgment, or service is to be made on an assignee of the judgment, the motion may either be personally served as provided in ORCP 7, or be served by certified mail, return receipt requested with signed receipt. The court may waive service on any person under this subsection if the person making the motion files an affidavit with the court stating that the person cannot be found after diligent effort by the person making the motion. The person making the motion shall file proof of service with the court.


A person served with a motion under this section must file a response within 21 days after service is made, or within such time as may be allowed by the court. The response must specifically identify those assertions in the motion that the person contests. The response must contain any information or mathematical calculations necessary to support the contentions of the responding party.


The court shall hear the motion not less than seven days after notice of hearing is given to the person making the motion and to the parties served with the motion. The court shall hear and determine the issues in a summary fashion without a jury. The court shall give the parties a reasonable opportunity to present evidence relevant to any factual issues.


If the court determines that the person making the motion is entitled to relief, the court shall issue an order providing that the money award has been satisfied in full or, if the money award has not been satisfied in full, the specific amount that will satisfy the judgment on a specific date or within a period of time specified in the order.


If the court finds that the judgment creditor willfully failed to provide a satisfaction document under ORS 18.225 (Satisfaction of money awards generally), the court may render a supplemental judgment awarding reasonable attorney fees to the person making the motion. The supplemental judgment may provide that the person making the motion may satisfy the judgment by paying such amounts the court determines to be necessary to satisfy the judgment less that sum of money the court awards as attorney fees.


If the court finds that the money award has been satisfied, or if the amount specified by the court is paid to the court administrator within the time specified by the court, the court administrator shall note in the register and in the judgment lien record that the money award has been satisfied in full. The court administrator shall deliver any money paid to the court administrator to the party or parties specified in the court’s order.


Upon request of the person making the motion, the court administrator shall issue a certificate indicating that the money award has been satisfied. The certificate may be recorded in any County Clerk Lien Record in which the judgment was recorded under ORS 18.152 (Establishing judgment liens in other counties). Recording of the certificate eliminates any judgment lien that was created by the recording of the judgment.


At least five days before filing a motion under this section, the person must serve by personal delivery or first class mail a copy of the motion on the Administrator of the Division of Child Support of the Department of Justice, or on the branch office of the Department of Justice providing support services to the county in which the motion will be made, if:


The motion relates to satisfaction of a support award; and


Child support rights, as defined in ORS 25.010 (Definitions for support enforcement laws), for the judgment creditor have been assigned to the state.


This section does not apply to justice courts, municipal courts or county courts performing judicial functions. [2003 c.576 §28; 2007 c.166 §3; 2007 c.339 §10]

Notes of Decisions

Under Former Similar Statute (Ors 18.410)

Requirement that payments on judgment be listed does not limit method of satisfaction to payment on judgment. Bird v. Norpac Foods, Inc., 132 Or App 349, 888 P2d 118 (1995), aff'd 325 Or 55, 934 P2d 382 (1997)

In General

Provisions requiring trial court administrator to note in register and in judgment lien record satisfaction of money award does not require trial court administrator to note partial satisfaction of money award. Baldwin and Baldwin, 257 Or App 346, 306 P3d 737 (2013), Sup Ct review denied

Chapter 18

Notes of Decisions

If terms used by trial court suffice to convey court's concluding decision or decisions, and if terms are set forth in document properly titled as judgment, then judgment document contains judgment. Interstate Roofing, Inc. v. Springfield Corp., 347 Or 144, 218 P3d 113 (2009)


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021