Distribution and Storage of Water

ORS 540.631
Cancellation of forfeited water right

  • notice

Whenever it appears to the satisfaction of the Water Resources Commission upon the commission’s own determination or upon evidence submitted to the commission by any person that a perfected and developed water right has been forfeited as provided in ORS 540.610 (Use as measure of water right) (1), and would not be rebutted under ORS 540.610 (Use as measure of water right) (2), the commission shall initiate proceedings for the cancellation of such water right by causing written notice of such initiation of proceedings to be given by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, to the legal owner of the lands to which the water right is appurtenant and to the occupant of such lands. The notice to the legal owner shall be addressed to the legal owner at the owner’s last address of record in the office of the county assessor of the county in which the lands are located. The notice shall contain a complete description of the water right and of the lands to which the water right is appurtenant. The notice shall state that the legal owner or the occupant has a period of 60 days from the date of the mailing of the notice within which to protest the proposed cancellation of the water right. [1955 c.670 §2; 1985 c.673 §97; 1989 c.699 §2; 1991 c.249 §53]

Notes of Decisions

Issuance of water right certificate for transferred water right and passage of 15-year period terminates ability to cancel new certificate based on abandonment of water right prior to transfer. Kerivan v. Water Resources Commission, 188 Or App 491, 72 P3d 659 (2003), Sup Ct review denied

Chapter 540

Law Review Citations

11 EL 390 (1981)


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021