Small Watercraft

ORS 830.092
Exemption from requirement to obtain boating safety education card

A boating safety education card is not required if a person:


Is at least 16 years of age and rents a motorboat with an engine greater than 10 horsepower and completes a required dockside safety checklist before operating the boat;


Possesses a current commercial fishing license as required by ORS 508.235 (Commercial fishing license);


Possesses a valid United States Coast Guard commercial motorboat operator’s license; or


Is not a resident of this state, holds a boating safety education card approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators and has the card in the person’s possession. [1999 c.716 §7; 2003 c.14 §499; 2019 c.156 §2]
Note: See note under 830.082 (Mandatory boating safety education program).


Last accessed
Mar. 11, 2023