Support Enforcement

ORS 25.378
Payment of support by income withholding

  • initiation of income withholding


Except as otherwise provided in ORS 25.396 (Exception to withholding), when a support order is entered or modified by the Division of Child Support, a district attorney, an administrative law judge or a circuit court, including a juvenile court, the order shall include a provision requiring the obligor to pay support by income withholding regardless of whether support enforcement services are being provided under ORS 25.080 (Entity primarily responsible for support enforcement services). In addition to the income withholding provided for in this subsection, income withholding may be initiated in accordance with subsections (2) to (6) of this section.


When an obligor is subject to a support order issued or registered in this state and fails to make payments at least equal to the amount of support payable for one month, a court or the administrator, whichever is appropriate, shall initiate income withholding without the need for a judicial or administrative hearing and without the need for advance notice to the obligor of the withholding.


When an arrearage exists and notice of the delinquent amount has been given to the obligor, a court, upon application, shall issue a withholding order upon the ex parte request of a person holding support rights or the administrator.


If an obligor is not otherwise subject to income withholding a court or the administrator may issue an order to withhold upon the ex parte motion of the obligor.


Upon the request of the holder of support rights, a court or the administrator, as appropriate, may issue a withholding order at any time if:


The obligor is not otherwise subject to withholding; and


After notice and an opportunity to object has been given to the obligor, a finding is made that it would be in the best interests of the child to issue a withholding order.


A court or the administrator shall issue an order to withhold when a support order or an arrearage from another jurisdiction is entered in Oregon in accordance with interstate income withholding under ORS chapter 110. [Formerly 25.311; 2001 c.104 §§6,7; 2003 c.73 §§29,30; 2003 c.75 §25; 2013 c.184 §2]


Last accessed
Jun. 26, 2021